You’ve heard of deviled eggs before, right? What about deviled strawberries? If you’ve never heard of deviled strawberries before then you are in for a life-changing treat.
This is the perfect handheld bite that offers the perfect mixture of tart strawberry, balanced with just the right amount of creamy texture, and (of course) chocolate. How could you go wrong with such a perfect trifecta? Well, you can’t. The perfect trio is calling your name and begging you to make it — so let’s get going!
Whether deviled strawberries are a dessert or the perfect summer snack is up for debate. While it is the perfect refreshing snack it would also be the most decadent dessert to make for your next get-together. The whole process for deviled strawberries will take you about 20 minutes from start to finish and will leave you wanting to have it every week.
Tips Before You Begin
- The strawberries are the thing! When you’re picking your strawberries from the store we recommend fresh, organic strawberries. Organic means they are free from harsh chemicals and pesticides so it is a much better option to use if available. While we’re talking about strawberries, try and get the big ones! The larger the strawberry the easier it will be to pipe the filling in. Smaller strawberries will be difficult to use for this recipe.
- If you soften the cream cheese first then you will be able to mix all of your ingredients together a lot easier. In this case, you will need to refrigerate your strawberries for a little while after putting them together but they will still taste just as delicious.
- In this recipe, we use milk chocolate for our filling but don’t let that stop you from using any kind of chocolate you prefer! Bring on the white chocolate filling or even dark chocolate. If you are making some for a large group of people then make a few of each one for variety.
- There are two different ways to melt your chocolate. One way is to place your chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and heat it for one minute while stopping to stir every 20 seconds to make sure your chocolate doesn’t burn. The other way is to use the double boiler method, which is how we will melt our chocolate for this recipe. The double boiler requires a pot of water that you will bring to a boil. Place a heat-safe bowl on top of the saucepan to where it will sit right on top of it. While the water boils underneath, it will melt your chocolate in the bowl above it.
- Time Needed: 20 minutes
- Serving size: around 10 strawberries
- 4oz (113g) cream cheese
- 2tbsp heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup (25g) powdered sugar
- 1 cup (167g) melted chocolate
- ½ pound (227g) strawberries
How to Prepare
- The first thing you want to do is wash your strawberries! I know it’s easy to forget this step sometimes, I have had my fair share of times where I have forgotten and just eaten them right out of the tray. But this is a very important step because the last thing we want to do is have dirt or bugs on our strawberries.
- Once your strawberries are washed and dried, cut off the green on the top and cut your strawberries in half.
- The next thing you need to do is the tricky part. Which is this is probably the “hardest” part of this recipe that really isn’t even that hard. All you need to do is to cut out the center part of the strawberry. Whether you use a knife or a spoon is up to you but you want to scoop enough out to where it makes a miniature bowl shape in your strawberry. (The easiest way to do this is if you have a serrated spoon that you use to scoop out grapefruit. The best two-in-one utensil.)
- Now that our strawberries are good to go, it’s on to making the decadent filling.
- First, you will need to melt your chocolate using the double boiler method. (You can use chocolate chunks, chips, or whole crushed chocolate for this.) Make sure that you are stirring your chocolate in intervals as the chocolate can burn very quickly.
- For the next step, you will need either a standing mixer or a bowl with a handheld mixer for this next part to get the correct consistency.
- Pour your cream cheese, powdered sugar, and whipping cream into your bowl and mix on medium to high speed until you get a smooth and glossy texture.
- Once your cream cheese mixture is fully combined add in your melted chocolate and stir together until the whole mixture looks like chocolate.
- Here’s the fun part! In a piping bag, fill it up with your chocolate cream mixture and pipe it into the hulled-out center of your strawberry. All of that work wasn’t for nothing — promise! Add in as little or as much as you desire.
Garnish your deviled strawberries with a mint leaf and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
No longer than two days. The ideal is to make this in the morning for an afternoon or evening event and keep them chilled in the fridge. While they might make it to a second day the strawberries will ripen a lot faster cut in half so it’s best to eat these while they are fresh.
All you need to do is to place your strawberries on a tray, wrap the top with plastic wrap, and keep them cool in the fridge until you are ready to serve them.
They absolutely are! Gluten-free lovers rejoice because this treat is perfect for you to enjoy this summer.
While piping bags are ideal, not everyone just has a piping bag on hand. So another way to have the same effect is to use a ziplock bag. Fill a ziplock bag with your chocolate cream filling, cut a small hole in the corner of your bag, remove all the air from the bag, and pipe away! (Make sure to double-check that the top is sealed.
While mint is refreshing on this dessert there are SO many other options for a garnish. Want an extra dose of chocolate? Top off with some chocolate chips on top. Love the crunch or sprinkles? Sprinkle away!! There are so many different ways to customize this dessert and all of them are delicious.
After trying it a couple of different ways, I found the best way was to use a serrated spoon that you would use to scoop out grapefruit. The tip of the spoon scoops out just enough of the strawberry with minimal effort.
Deviled Strawberries - With Chocolate and Cream Cheese
Deviled strawberries are delicious, and also super easy to make! Learn how to make them yourself today! With video and photo instructions.
- 4oz cream cheese
- 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1.1 oz (¼ cup) powdered sugar
- 8 fl oz (1 cup) melted chocolate
- ½ pound strawberries
- Wash the strawberries and pat dry them. Cut the green parts out of them, cut them in half and take the center off.
- Place the chocolate over boiling water to melt it.
- Mix the cream cheese together with the sugar and the whipping cream.
- Once the chocolate is melted add it in the cream cheese mixture and continue mixing until everything is well incorporated.
- Fill a piping bag with the mixture and add some amount of it in the center of every strawberry slice. You can add some sprinkles on top if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 89Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 41mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 1g
Leave a Reply